CalTopo is Hiring!
Update 2/28: We’re thrilled by all the interest in the position. We are moving forward with an awesome group of candidates and aren’t going to be accepting more applications at this point! Thanks for all the interest and support!
It’s come time for CalTopo to grow once again! We are hiring a Training and Customer Support employee. CalTopo offers an opportunity to work with a product you use and care about.
As CalTopo grows, training and education are a critical part of our path forward. We are looking for someone who can start from scratch and develop a mix of documentation, self-guided courses, and in-person classes, for both professional and recreational users. We want these trainings to go beyond the mechanics of drawing lines and printing maps, and dig into real-world application – whether that’s planning a backcountry trip or managing a backcountry incident. We are looking for someone with the depth of experience to both develop these materials, and credibly present them to experienced professional audiences.
CalTopo offers a flexible remote work environment where we provide all necessary technology, and an additional stipend to ensure you have the right work environment. Whether that is a desk and monitor at home, or membership to a coworking space. This position is full time and salaried offering health insurance, a generous bank of paid vacation time, flexible hours, and a competitive salary (based upon experience).
Our new training and customer support employee will spend approximately 60% of their time focused on developing training materials. The remaining 40% of the job will be focused on customer support tasks.
- Building training curriculum and creating training materials for both recreational and professional users
- Creation of a professional training program and course progression
- Producing video based training content for web and learning management software
- Conduct in person/hands on trainings with various outdoor professional groups
- Occasional travel to Truckee, CA, and to various training sites. Approximately 10% paid travel (or about 1 week every other month).
- Occasional nights/weekends for trainings and support
- Customer support via web forums, e-mail, and phone
- Opportunity to participate in testing and use of pre-release app and give feedback for features and improvements!
The following qualifications are required for this position:
- Current CalTopo user and outdoor enthusiast. You need familiarity with both the web based and mobile CalTopo applications. We can teach some of the most complex features but you should have a very solid grasp on using the software.
- Incident leadership experience, preferably in a backcountry setting, such as wildland fire or search and rescue. While you don’t have to be a 20 year veteran leader, we are looking for a professional that has experience in leading or managing outdoor incidents in either a paid or volunteer capacity. Bonus for having familiarity with SARTopo in these settings.
- Outdoor professional experience particularly the ability to travel through outdoor terrain and navigate using a variety of methods not limited to software based solutions. Understanding of trip planning and fundamentals is essential.
- Access to an airport for travel, easy enough access that you can travel with regularity.
- Ability to utilize software for training content creation, such as power point, basic image editing, and video creation.
- Excellent written and verbal communication abilities for customer support component.
The following aren’t required but are preferred:
- Residency in California
- Experience in teaching/education, either in backcountry education or a different discipline
To apply please send a resume and cover letter to Ben Lantow, Business Operations Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!